Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Defense, Eagles! Defense!


Quisqueya Christian School had their first boys basketball game of the season a little over a week ago. If you know me at all, you know that I LOVE basketball. A small piece of me is dying inside as I write this because UT is playing Kentucky, and I'm not able to watch it.

Now, QCS is definitely not college-level ball, but it was so great to watch the boys play and really put their whole heart into it. Carl, Jonathan, Israel, Ramih and Kevin started off the game. We played MorningStar Academy (I think), and they had several fans show up to support them. There was even one crazy lady in a white shirt and jeggings that LOVED to dance. I think she was probably talking some "smack" too, but their team was constantly down by at least 10 points. I really wanted to shout my favorite UT insult, "You're ugly!" but I figured that might not be appropriate for a high school basketball game.


Crazy lady in white shirt and jeggings. She spent most of her time dancing it up.

Coach McMahan watches the Eagles from the sideline

The boys played so great! Most of the boys on the team are in one of my English classes, so it was so great to support them as they took their team to victory. Although we were constantly up by an insane amount of points, it still felt as though it was a close game. That might be because their fans were constantly cheering, giving their guys more motivation to score.

Final Score: QCS 57, MorningStar 37
Total Domination.

MVP of the game, in my opinion, would go to Jonathan. He scored 21 points and really displayed awesome leadership skills for his team. The students decked out in the purple in yellow to support their classmates. I even decided to show some school spirit and put on the colors that I have grown to love.


Cristina and Kathryn, sophomore girls, paint up to support their school

I haven't rooted for a high school team since ole' faithful DA, but the Eagles are soaring into a special place in my heart.


Go Eagles!

QCS plays Union School this Friday. Union is our biggest rival in all of Haiti (and one of the only teams we play) so hopefully we will be able to pull out another win and watch our arch enemy lose once again!



Also, I've decided to start being "pen pals" with some people. I find e-mails to be much more significant, and I'm able to learn about the lives of others and share things that I sometimes don't share on my blog. If you interested in being a "pen pal" just comment with your email address, or shoot me an email at kristinabirkhead@gmail.com. I would love to share more of this journey with you!

>K

No comments:

Post a Comment