Sunday, February 15, 2009

This one's for you Mo.

Every time I step foot into my church in Nashville, one of the first things I hear is this loud person screaming "Birkhead!!!!" It puts a huge smile on my face and I automatically know that Moses is the one yelling my name running to me with open arms waiting for a hug. I've been up at college all semester and haven't gone home since Christmas break. Today I found out that Moses was in the hospital and wasn't doing so well.

He and his brother Gene were in a terrible car accident either Wednesday or Thursday and Gene turned out with a dislocated thumb and a few bruises. Moses was not so lucky. His left side is pretty beat up including a collapsed lung, 12 broken ribs, a bruised spleen and kidney and lots of scratches. He is on a ventilator and they are worried about infection. He is doing alright for the moment, but if he gets an infection, things could get a lot worse.

I think that I feel so bad about this and so scared for him because he is only 16. He is way too young to have to experience anything like this and I know that I should go visit him. If only school wasn't a problem and work too. I know he needs love, and I miss getting to see him and hear my name being called. I don't want him to lose his joy and his great personality after such a traumatic event.

I also feel so guilty because I was looking at Facebook and I saw someone's status being about Moses and Gene being in a wreck, but I didn't think anything of it and went on with my day. I was too concerned with what I was going through and with what I was freaking out about to even have two minutes to say a prayer for two boys that I care very much about.

I realized that my problems are so small compared to what other people are going through. Moses is in so much pain, and my little bit of confusion is at the forefront of my mind. What does this say about me that I can't even take two seconds to think about my friends. My priorities are definitely needing a change, and it's definitely something that I will be working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment