Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Washin' Feet

This Friday is my last meeting with my discipleship group. We have had so many ups and downs during our time together. We have prayed together, laughed together, and grown together. One of the hardest parts about leaving is leaving these precious girls.

We have studied many different passages, learned what it means to be “uncommon”, and talked about our futures. We have dealt with attitudes, family problems, and health issues.

Last week was the best time that we have had the entire year. I wanted to do something really special that they would remember for a long time. I wanted to share Christ’s love for his disciples, and turn that into my love for them. I also wanted to encourage them and serve them.

During lunch, I came up to my apartment and set up the room. I lit candles, put the Bible on the table, a filled a basin with water.

I got the girls and brought them upstairs. I told them that before they go in, to leave their socks and shoes outside of the door. I think several of them suspected something, but for the most part, they had no idea. We sat in a circle and I read the story of Jesus washing the disciples feet. I told them that I wasn’t coming back next year, but I wanted them to know that they will always hold a special place in my heart. I wanted to serve them, and let them know exactly what they meant to me.

I started with one of the sophomore girls, then moved around the circle until I had washed each girls feet. Three of them cried, and in my heart, I was breaking down as I was telling them what they meant to me. It was such a special experience for all of us. I finished reading the story of Jesus washing the disciples feet, then said a special prayer over them.



I was praying so much for God to move in just one of the girls’ lives. I may never know what He did in their hearts, but he broke down barriers and moved us closer as a group. God really showed up and moved in my heart during that time.

I’m sad to leave them, but I know that God is going to continue to work in each of their lives. I, for one, am so excited to see what they are going to be doing in the months and years to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment